someone sent me a fan mail thing asking me what my favourite indie comics/zines are and i figured it might be fun to draw them all tiny because one of my favourite things to do is draw tiny books. Anyways here are some words about them:
1) Fantasy Basketball - Sam Bosma: I only read this a few hours ago so it’s still very fresh in my mind but i can tell i’m going to be thinking about it for awhile. It has great pacing and humour and the art is beautiful. It reminds me of a parallel universe studio ghibli adventure with hints of dragon quest thrown in for good measure. I want/need some more adventures featuring Wiz, she was super charming! Sam is a crazy good illustrator, the worlds he creates all feel so alive.
2 & 3) Kuš - Various: these guys put out some of my favourite comics anthologies (š!) full of comics from talented folk from all over this big weird planet. they’re also pocket sized and super cute (certainly the cutest comic anthology going around these days!). This is one of the best ways to discover new comic artists, i think, especially those from other countries. My favourite so far has been #9 which i carried around in my bag for like 7 months until it got water damaged when i got stuck in a storm, it’s still good though. Bonus Story: I was reading Kris Mukai’s comic in #9 in a laundromat in new york city and laughed out loud and an old lady gave me a weird look.
4) Klaus - Richard Short - I think i’ve mentioned a few times in the past how much i love Klaus. This book was pretty important for inspiring me to really want to get into making comics seriously. The strips are funny, charming, honest and beautifully crafted. Short has such a dry sense of humour, which is very appealing to me and makes the comics really shine. Klaus also features one of my all time favourite characters: Lovely Horse!
5) Internet Comics: Maré Odomo: Maré makes beautiful comics, his words are almost like poems or song lyrics or something and his illustrations make me always feel like i’m reading a dream. Internet Comics is no different, it’s great and moving and honest which is everything i want in a comic.
6) Sunday in the Park with Boys: Jane Mai: This is one of the most honest comics i’ve ever read, it’s beautifully illustrated and Jane has such a unique voice and way of writing comics, easily one of my favourite books ever and one i recommend tracking down. Plus Jane is just great even though she’s an actual living and breathing ball of grease. True story.
Anyways i could have gone on and on and included a bunch of other equally great comics but words are hard so that’s it, thanks for reading.
• 8 October 2013 • 444 notes
Mimi and the Wolves ☆ Act I: ☆ The Dream
⇒⇒ ⇒⇒⇒⇒BACK IN STOCK⇐⇐⇐⇐ ⇐⇐
∴ First 10 orders get a shiny Magic Seashell button
∴ First 3 orders get the button AND a silkscreened patch buy a patch anyway
As always these items are 100% handmade and limited. Check out snippets of the comic here.
been waiting 4 this
• 1 October 2013 • 198 notes
PUPA PREORDERS START TODAY!
PUPA is an anthology with comics and illustrations about insects from 26 artists from around the world.
$23US (includes international shipping from Taiwan)
- A6 size
- 100 pages B&W
- 8 pages colour
- 1 colour pullout
Now available for preorder from September 21st - October 12th! The print run will be limited to preorders, but a small number of books will be offered for sale after the preorder from contributing artists. If you want a copy please order one today! Books ship October.
Proceeds from book sales will be going towards The Foundation for Preservation of Honey Bees. The book cost includes international shipping and helps us cover Paypal fees and conversion fees (from USD to TWD).
We will only print books based on the number of preorders and books requested by contributors. Once they are gone they will be gone! I helped Lawn edit and design the book. We would really appreciate your support. Thanks for looking!!
• 21 September 2013 • 1,152 notes
I don’t really know Maggie but I’m aware of certain people who have been following me for years and consistently like my posts. She’s one of them.
Asking for money is hard and no one is forcing you to donate.
If each of my followers donated $1, she could go to school for 16 semesters.
• 8 September 2013 • 49 notes
which runs until Sept 1st at LAND in Portland.
Meg is one of my favorites and I was super honored to be a part of this~
edit: you can buy a print!
• 27 August 2013 • 187 notes
Three tips for game developers, if you want to get your game featured on Tiny Cartridge:
- Riff on Ninja Gaiden's opening (or any variant of the classic moonlight sword duel)
- Make the whole game about said duels
- Hire Cory Schmitz and Maré Odomo to make your logo
Samurai Gunn releases for PlayStation 4 and PS Vita some time next year
• 27 August 2013 • 159 notes
Shout outs to Pokémon trainers who have pink hair, or who are people of color, or who like to stand around looking cool while modeling the letters from the next Pokémon game.
Love these trainers, this concept, and the art show/party Maré created this for: Fangamer X Attract Mode, which opens in Seattle next week during PAX. Along with a buttload of pieces from a dream team of artists, the show will have games, music, and drinks.
Basically, if you are in the area and you don’t go, you are dumb. I’m sorry if that’s mean, but I’m bummed that I won’t be anywhere near Seattle next week.
PREORDER Pokemon X and Y, upcoming releases
• 23 August 2013 • 270 notes
part of that last comic but they work separately
• 10 July 2013 • 146 notes
started this last year, when we had just moved.
found it in a sketchbook and decided to finish it.
• 10 July 2013 • 152 notes